Tuesday 23rd October 2018

China says ex-Chinese Interpol chief took bribe, under probe

admin 5:51 pm News Views: 16

Beijing, 08 October : China’s top security official, who headed the Interpol until last week and went missing after he left France for China, is being probed for taking bribes, Beijing said on Monday.

The Chinese Foreign Ministry said the international community was free to make its own conclusion on the high-profile case, but the probe against Meng showed China’s resolve to crack down on graft.

Meng, the Vice Minister in the powerful Pubic Security Ministry, was elected as the first Chinese Interpol chief in November 2016.

“The investigation against Meng Hongwei taking bribes and suspected violations of law is very timely, absolutely correct and rather wise,” the Ministry of Public Security said in a statement.

Meng’s disappearance made news last week after his wife in Lyon – Interpol’s headquarters in France – reported him missing for several days after he left for China.

Interpol, which made a formal request to Chinese authorities to give information about his whereabouts, announced Meng’s resignation on Sunday.

Related Post