Connect with us

Breaking

Putin confirms ‘fragile’ ceasefire in Syria

Published

on

139506251819106838667484

Moscow, 29 Dec 2016 : Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday confirmed that a “fragile” agreement was reached on a ceasefire in Syria and the start of peace talks.

“This agreement we’ve reached is very fragile, as we all understand. They require special attention and patience, professional attitude, and constant contact with our partners,” Putin said at a meeting with Russian foreign and defence ministers.

The agreement, which was previously announced by Turkey, was detailed in three documents, Putin said.

“The first was signed by the Syrian government and the Syrian opposition to stop hostilities in the territory of Syria. The second one was a set of measures to control the ceasefire. The third document was a declaration of intention for Syrian settlement,” the Russian President said.

The truce was supported by seven major armed opposition groups that have over 60,000 fighters in their ranks, Russian Defence Minister Sergey Shoigu said.

He added that if the agreement holds, it would allow Russia to scale down its military presence in Syria.

Putin said that such a pullout would not mean a stop to Russia’s international anti-terrorist effort.

He added that he will contact his Iranian and Turkish counterparts to discuss further steps in the Syrian peace process.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said the three nations were preparing a meeting in Astana, Kazakhstan to pave the way for peace talks on Syria.

Ankara has called on all parties that can exert influence on armed groups to support the ceasefire deal.

Damascus has confirmed that it will observe the ceasefire starting December 30 midnight.

Meanwhile, the Turkish Foreign Ministry said that Turkey and Russia will act as guarantors of the truce, which does not include groups designated as terrorists by the UN.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking

Bigg boss 13: Siddharth Shukla won, Asim first runnerup

Published

on

Continue Reading

Breaking

Delhi court convicts 19 persons in Bihar’s Muzaffarpur shelter home case

Published

on

New Delhi, 20 Jan : The Saket court in Delhi on Monday convicted 19 accused, including high-profile Brajesh Thakur, in connection with the alleged sexual and physical assaults on girl inmates at a shelter home in Bihar’s Muzaffarpur district.

Continue Reading

Breaking

Violence in JNU, masked goons attack students, teachers

Published

on

New Delhi, 5 Jan : Violence swept the Jawaharlal Nehru University on Sunday as several masked individuals, both male and female, thrashed students, including girls, and teachers inside the varsity campus with wooden and metal rods.

Shah takes stock of situation, orders probe

Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Sunday ordered the Delhi Police to take all necessary action to control the situation in the Jawaharlal Nehru University where widespread violence in the evening left many students, including girls, and teachers injured.

Priyanka Gandhi reaches AIIMS to meet injured JNU students

Congress General Secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra on Sunday reached All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) to meet the students who were injured during the clash between the two groups inside the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU).

Fascists in control of our nation: Rahul

Congress leader Rahul Gandhi attacked the Central government over the violence that erupted in the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) campus on Sunday.

Continue Reading

Trending Live

Advertisement

Latest Post

Big News

Advertisement

Sports

Advertisement

Entertainment

Trending