Connect with us

Breaking

‘All necessary resources’ dedicated to Clinton email probe

Published

on

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton speaks at a news conference at Theodore Roosevelt High School in Des Moines, Iowa, Friday, Oct. 28, 2016. The FBI dropped what amounts to a political bomb on the Clinton campaign on Friday when it announced it was investigating whether new emails involving the Democratic presidential nominee contain classified information. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)

Washington, 01 Nov 2016 : The US Justice Department said that it would “dedicate all necessary resources” regarding the review of thousands of newly discovered emails that might be related to Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s email probe.
“We assure you that the department will continue to work closely with the FBI and together, dedicate all necessary resources and take appropriate steps as expeditiously as possible,” Assistant Attorney General Peter Kadzik wrote in a letter to lawmakers on Monday.

The pledge came after Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Director James Comey announced that new evidence relating to Clinton’s private email server were being assessed.

Comey told Congress in a letter made public on Friday that his agency was reviewing new emails that appeared to be linked to Clinton, who had been probed by the FBI over her use of a private server and how she handled classified information while serving as America’s top diplomat.

“The FBI has learned of the existence of emails that appear to be pertinent to the investigation,” said Comey.

“I agreed that the FBI should take appropriate investigative steps designed to allow investigators to review these emails to determine whether they contain classified information, as well as to assess their importance to our investigation,” added Comey.

However, Comey said the FBI “cannot yet assess whether or not this material may be significant”, adding that he could not predict how long it would take investigators to complete the “additional work”.

Comey’s announcement drew criticism from Democrats who accused him of not following the tradition of keeping investigations from the public’s sight 60 days before presidential elections.

The White House defended Comey on Monday, with press secretary Josh Earnest saying President Barack Obama does not believe that Comey was intentionally trying to sway the election.

Clinton on Monday played down the damage of the probe, telling a rally in the swing state of Ohio that “there’s no case here” and that she’s confident no charges will be made.

Seizing on the investigation, Republican candidate Donald Trump warned Monday that if Clinton were to be elected, the country would face a “constitutional crisis”.

The announcement, which rocked the already chaotic presidential race, appeared to take its toll on Clinton’s edge over Trump.

According to the ABC/Washington Post tracking poll released on Sunday, about one in third likely US voters said the new development of Clinton’s email federal probe made them less likely to support her.

Meanwhile, the poll found that 46 per cent of the voters support Clinton at the moment, compared to 45 per cent who support Trump. A week ago, the same poll found that Clinton had a 12-point edge over Trump.

At a press conference in March 2015, Clinton acknowledged that she had exchanged about 60,000 emails from her private email account during her tenure as the Secretary of State (2009-2013), among which about half were personal and thus deleted.

All emails were sent and received via a private email server based at the basement of Clinton’s home in Chappaqua, New York.

In response to requests from the State Department, the Clinton camp turned over the other half, roughly 30,000 emails in total, to the State Department in December 2014.

The controversy surrounding Clinton’s email practices again burst into public view in August 2015 after the inspector general for the intelligence community revealed that two of the thousands of emails held by Clinton contained top-secret information.

The revelation then triggered a federal investigation into whether Clinton had mishandled sensitive information.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking

Bigg boss 13: Siddharth Shukla won, Asim first runnerup

Published

on

Continue Reading

Breaking

Delhi court convicts 19 persons in Bihar’s Muzaffarpur shelter home case

Published

on

New Delhi, 20 Jan : The Saket court in Delhi on Monday convicted 19 accused, including high-profile Brajesh Thakur, in connection with the alleged sexual and physical assaults on girl inmates at a shelter home in Bihar’s Muzaffarpur district.

Continue Reading

Breaking

Violence in JNU, masked goons attack students, teachers

Published

on

New Delhi, 5 Jan : Violence swept the Jawaharlal Nehru University on Sunday as several masked individuals, both male and female, thrashed students, including girls, and teachers inside the varsity campus with wooden and metal rods.

Shah takes stock of situation, orders probe

Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Sunday ordered the Delhi Police to take all necessary action to control the situation in the Jawaharlal Nehru University where widespread violence in the evening left many students, including girls, and teachers injured.

Priyanka Gandhi reaches AIIMS to meet injured JNU students

Congress General Secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra on Sunday reached All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) to meet the students who were injured during the clash between the two groups inside the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU).

Fascists in control of our nation: Rahul

Congress leader Rahul Gandhi attacked the Central government over the violence that erupted in the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) campus on Sunday.

Continue Reading

Trending Live

Advertisement

Latest Post

Big News

Advertisement

Sports

Advertisement

Entertainment

Trending